10 Benefits of Massage Therapy for Athletes
At Rebalance Sports Medicine, our RMTs (Registered Massage Therapists) often get asked the question of how massage therapy can be beneficial for athletes. For those who train hard and demand a lot from their bodies, massage therapy should be included in your training cycle to optimize health and improve performance.
Here is a list of 10 benefits of massage therapy for athletes:
- Reduces muscle soreness
- Improves joint mobility
- Reduces inflammatory response in muscles to help with recovery from injuries
- Enhances range of motion by breaking down scar tissue from micro tears
- Improves performance by providing trigger point relief to remove tight knots that may refer pain to other parts of your body
- Improves sleep which is essential to muscle recovery after hard training cycles
- Aids in the recovery of various sports injuries including tears, tendonitis, sprains, bursitis, strains, dislocations and fractures
- Increases circulation to your muscles for recovery by removal of lactic acid
- Boosts immunity by increasing your white blood cells
- It feels good!
If you are in the downtown Toronto area, please contact us if you would like to book an appointment.
Rebalance Sports Medicine is a multidisciplinary clinic in downtown Toronto offering physiotherapy, chiropractic, registered massage therapy, sports medicine, naturopathy, Pilates and more.