Our physiotherapists, chiropractors and massage therapists see a high rate of injuries due to slips and falls around this time of year. So far we are off to a very slippery start this winter season in Toronto. This past weekend we experienced one of the worst ice storms in Toronto history. With our lovely city completely covered in ice we thought it would be wise to share some tips on how to minimize the risk of slips and falls. Share this post with all those that you think will benefit.
- This one may be a no brainer but we have to say it: Try to stay inside if possible.
- If you must go out, find the safest route to your destination and give yourself extra time to get there.
- Avoid rushing or taking shortcuts.
- Check in advance for street and transit closures.
- Wear appropriate footwear. Rubber soles that are flat will provide the best traction on the ice and snow.
- Take small steps to maintain your center of balance.
- Avoid carrying heavy bags, purses or large objects (leave those holiday gifts at home and drop them off on another day).
- Try to keep your hands out of your pockets; if your arms are free they will help with your balance.
- Salt your driveway and all pathways and steps that are accessible.
- Remove your wet shoes when you come indoors to prevent others from slipping and falling over the water and debris that your footwear brings with it.
Our team at Rebalance Sports Medicine is wishing you a safe, happy and healthy holiday season!