Trying to get pregnant can be a very stressful time, especially if it’s not coming easily. Naturopathic medicine can be very helpful by using acupuncture, counseling, and sometimes other supplementation to address both the stress and the cause of the fertility issues (if there is a known cause!). Acupuncture can be used in couples taking fertility drugs and can also be effective as a standalone approach. In 1996, The World Health Organization even endorsed acupuncture for reproductive problems!
Acupuncture has been studied in many ways with respect to fertility. Here is a brief summary of the research findings:
- Acupuncture can increase rates of pregnancy in those undergoing IVF
- Acupuncture can enhance sperm quality and quantity
- Acupuncture can increase blood flow to the pelvis, thus improving ovarian function
- Acupuncture can help to regulate the menstrual cycle
- Acupuncture can help increase the thickness of the uterine lining (endometrium)
If you have any questions about achieving a healthy pregnancy, please contact us to book an appointment with our naturopath.